Shabby Christmas 3

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A little bit of courtesy...

This entry is a vent session for.  And since John is still at school, I haven't had the opportunity to say anything.. besides to myself.
Utah is a state full people who follow the LDS religion.  One of the major components of this religion is charity and kindness towards others.  There are days here that I feel that no one actually lives it.  Chances are they are LDS, but they are aren't living this basic ideology.  I will give you two examples from today that happened within a half an hour of each other.  I had dropped John off at school after helping him go pick up some paper to make prints on for his photography class.  I got on the interstate, heading south, and got off at my exit.  They are doing massive amounts of construction on the interstate right now so lanes are little mixed up and not clearly marked when getting off at the Provo Center Street exit.  I got into the lane which I thought was the right one, only to find out that it was the turning lane to get onto the interstate.  I put my blinker on to move over into the straight lane, only to have at least 10 cars zoom right past me.  Sure it was my mistake, however, had I been in the straight lane and someone else was signaling to move over I would have stopped and let them in.  Is it really that hard to show a little kindness?  The second I was backing out of my driveway and a car came around the corner while I was doing so.  Instead of stopping and letting me finishing backing out, this other car zooms around me.  Mind you, at this point I am pretty much in the middle of the road.  Zooming around me meant going into the oncoming traffic side of the road.  Would it have killed the person in the other car to wait 10 seconds for me to get my car into gear? No probably not. 
 I have such a hard time with the impatience and unkindness of the drivers here.  I rarely see anyone do something nice for anyone else when driving and an opportunity arises.  I'm not saying that Maine drivers are perfect either, but it seems that they are far more charitable and far more willing to do something nice for another driver. Utah needs to take a page out of their book!

No comments:

Post a Comment